Naga groups seek common approach
Dimapur | December 8 : Despite the recent flurry of media reports and intense speculation doing the rounds on the Government of India’s reported proposals to be placed before the National Socialist Council of Nagalim (NSCN-IM) for further talks, reliable sources are however pointing out that the Naga groups (the two NSCNs and FGN) are serious about working on a common approach before any formal talks can begin with the Government of India.
To this effect, the Joint Working Group (JWG) of the three groups today met at Dimapur and issued a statement ‘A Public Affirmation’ upholding the September 28, 2009 joint declaration which had clearly rejected any form of “conditional package offered to the Nagas by the Government of India”.
One reliable source working closely with the Naga political groups said that the JWG had “consistently” voiced its opposition to any “conditional package”. “One can therefore logically surmise that the Naga political groups are serious about working together to solve the Naga problem”, the source said. When queried, the source also expressed the view that the latest joint declaration was “indicative” of the willingness on the part of the NSCN (IM) to work together with the other groups with regard to the ongoing political talks with Delhi.
According to some political observers, at a time when there is so much speculation and confusion going around, the public affirmation issued by the JWG will clear any shadow of doubt and at the same time send a clear message to Delhi about the position of the Nagas as far as the future of Indo-Naga political talks is concerned.
It was also mentioned that the latest statement from the JWG was in all probability a direct rebuttal to the comments made by the Union Home Secretary GK Pillai as reported by a section of the national media. The Union Home secretary had mentioned that the government had invited the NSCN (IM) leadership for a discussion on the proposals, which was ready. The report also quoted Pillai as saying that the invitation to the NSCN (IM) had already been sent.
However well placed sources within the NSCN (IM) denied receiving any invitation from the government of India side and at the same time also refuted reports of talks between the Government of India and the NSCN-IM taking place.
“To remove all public assumptions and to clarify any doubts arising from the recent statements made by the Government of India, we the signatories of the Joint Working Group hereby recommit ourselves to uphold, respect and honor the principles of the joint declaration”, stated the JWG after today’s meeting. Meanwhile sources also pointed out that “significant developments are taking place” as far as the peace and reconciliation process is concerned.
A Public Affirmation
To remove all public assumptions and to clarify any doubts arising from the recent statements made by the Government of India, we the signatories of the Joint Working Group hereby recommit ourselves to uphold, respect and honor the principles of “A Joint Declaration” signed on September 28, 2009, in which “We jointly reject any form of conditional package offered to the Nagas by the Government of India”
The Joint Working Group further recognizes the urgency to facilitate the meeting of a summit at the highest level, at the earliest, in affirmation of the “Covenant of Reconciliation.” We therefore reassure to render every cooperation in order to bring about the summit, at the earliest.
The Joint Working Group agrees to reaffirm and strengthen our total commitment to “work together in the spirit of love, non-violence, peace and respect to resolve outstanding issues amongst us.”
The Joint Working Group reinforces our pledge to abide and implement cessation of all forms of offensive activities in toto.
Mr. Vikiye Awomi
Joint Working Group
Mr. Zhopra Vero
Joint Working Group
Mr. C Singson
Joint Working Group
Date: December 8, 2009