TNL apprises PM on ground rules Both sides bandy truce pact alibi, IM exhorts Nagas
IMPHAL, Apr 23 : The stalemate continues with both the Assam Rifles and the NSCN (IM) holding each other responsible of violating the ceasefire ground rules.
While the Naga outfit has accused the Assam Rifles of wilfully trespassing on the Camp Hebron on April 19, Assam Rifles on the other hand has said that the camps of the NSCN (IM) remain surrounded to ensure that the cadres stick to the rules laid down by the Ceasefire Monitoring Group.
Speaking to The Sangai Express, a reliable source said that the camps of the NSCN (IM) are being surrounded and the movements of the cadres monitored to ensure that they do not violate the cease fire ground rules.
On the other hand the NSCN (IM) has accused the Assam Rifles of trespassing into their territory at Camp Hebron in total disregard of the cease fire ground rules.
The Tangkhul Naga Long, while asserting that it is the will, aspirations and desires of the Naga people to bring a negotiated settlement to the decades old Indo-Naga issue, has submitted a memorandum to the Prime Minister to defuse the situation at Camp Hebron and other camps of the NSCN (IM) keeping in mind the ceasefire ground rules.
It is the will of the Nagas that the cease fire ground rules be honoured and respected for an early and peaceful solution to the decades old Naga issue, added TNL.
The Chandel Naga People’s Organisation (CNPO), Naga Women Union, Chandel; and Naga Students’ Union, Chandel (NSUC) have also called for peaceful settlement of the impasse at the earliest through the intervention of the Home Ministry.
In a statement, the Chandel Naga bodies said that the latest impasse has not only created fear psychosis among the general public, but also caused fear that the hard earned political dialogue between the two parties may go in vain.
Appealing both the parties to exercise maximum restrain and let the matter be resolved through negotiation, the Chandel apex organisations reminded that any sort of violence or confrontation has no place in a civilised society but rather creates animosity and misunderstanding which the people never desire.
Stating that the impasse has nothing to do with the Assam Rifles and NSCN (IM), the statement posited that the matter should be resolved with the intervention of GoI (Home Ministry).
It added that the latest stalemate has caused a sense of insecurity and fear in Chandel district too and added that the people of Chandel desire a peaceful settlement at the earliest.
Meanwhile the NSCN (IM) has alleged that the Assam Rifles willfully and provocatively trespassed Hebron Camp on April 19, and urged the Nagas to be prepared for any eventualities.
A statement issued to the press by the GPRN’s MIP said no amount of excuses or explanations by the AR and other Indian Government agencies can justify or cover the crime. It stated that it was a flagrant violation of cease-fire ground rules and the spirit of ceasefire agreement between the NSCN and the GoI.
Stating that the Assam Rifles are the instruments and the real actor is either the GoI or the Indian Army top establishments which have dangerous differences with their Government, the MIP statement asserted that the undeterred betrayal actions of Assam Rifles clearly indicate that there is a powerful back-up from the so-called High Command.
Alleging that during the 14 years of political dialogue these crimes had been committed from the Indian side, the statement contended that such actions show how GoI is sincere and committed as per their words.
As a big nation like India stooped to such a low standard which is fighting for a permanent member in the UNO Security Council, it stated.
In such a deepening crises when anything can happen, the so-called Chairman of the Cease-fire Monitoring group, Maj Gen. George awkwardly tried to shy away his neutral and un-prejudicial responsibilities, it maintained.
Coming down on the silence maintained by the Nagaland Government, the MIP statement wondered what the Nagaland Government has been doing all this time of crisis.
“The NPF Government in Nagaland boastfully claims as a facilitator in the peace process between the NSCN and the GoI. But during such crisis and uncertainty what the Nagaland State government is doing?” it asked while adding that the NSCN is a political group only.
Contending that the dangerous consequence is threatening the entire population of the Nagas, the Naga people may ask why the State Government does not raise a voice in such a critical situation, it said.
“If any undesirable situation is created from today’s crisis, the Government of Nagaland state should be squarely blamed by the Nagas,” the MIP statement contended.
“More than 95% Nagas desire freedom from want and oppressions. They have witnessed how GoI and its leaders are acting in political dialogue and the April 19th 2012 incident at Hebron is a good lesson for all the Nagas. The other factions are talking about political dialogue with India, but they will certainly experience the same insincerity and false diplomacies from the GoI.”
“The said incident should be an eye opener for all sections of the Naga people. The system of dictatorship and authoritarianism, oppression and suppression is speedily losing ground from the face of the world. The Nagas are united in our desire for freedom and dignity of life. Therefore, let us again unite as before and fight with whatever is available at our command. Let us not loss heart but be strengthened with difficult situations we are facing now,” it urged.
Having learnt the real intention of India from the incident the Nagas should get prepared for any eventualities, the MIP urged.